Tuesday 13 October 2009

Work Placement August 2009

My first professional experience was a work placement i did at Paper Scissor Store in Leeds This summer. I gained this placement through networking with people at first, then through sending my portfolio to them via email. I did this before we left for the summer break and didn't get a reply untill nearer the end of the summer break.I suppose this proves that people are busy and might not have time to reply straight away, this even counts for smaller company like Paper Scissor Stone who have a small work force of 2.

I first went down to just say hello and have a look around. I think this was a good idea as it broke the ice and gave me a idea of what i was going to be doing for them.

I was given the task of designing some tote bags, ready for the start of term. Steve gave me some ideas for the tote bags and a quick sketch which i then took to the computer. The bags were ok'd after a couple of design's then went to print.

Another thing that i had to do was re-size and re-touch photo's for the website. I didn't realize how D.I.Y some of these web sites were and how much time it takes to up keep these small business's.

I also had to put together a e-mail shot which showed what was new in stock and what was on offer etc. I gathered a little bit of experience also with the people behind the website 'Why Digital'where i learned the basic of
dream weaver which is a program i have never used.

From doing this work placement i found out what is was like to work in a small

business. Dealing with a specific target audience/consumer. I also felt i gained confidence and knowledge in communicating with people on a professional level.

No comments:

Post a Comment